The Firm manages personal information appropriately in accordance with its operating structure and by educating its members, and takes measures to prevent leakage or loss of, or damage or unauthorized access to, personal information.
The Firm disposes of the relevant personal information immediately when the statutory retention period elapses or when it becomes no longer necessary to handle the information.
The safety control measures taken by the Firm are as follows:
- Establishment of basic policies for securing appropriate handling of personal information and providing a contact point for inquiries and complaint processing.
(Rules for Handling Personal Data)
- Establishment of personal information handling regulations with respect to handling methods, supervisors and operators, their duties, etc., for each phase of acquisition, use, saving, provision, deletion, destruction and other handling of personal information.
(Organizational Safety Control Measures)
- Appointment of supervisors in charge of the handling of personal data.
- Establishment of a system to report and communicate to supervisors any actual or suspected breach of law or internal rules.
- Periodic self-inspection of the status of handling of personal information.
(Personal Safety Control Measures)
- A duty of confidentiality assumed by personnel who handle personal information.
(Physical Safety Control Measures)
- Controlled access to the areas where personal data are handled, restrictions on the bringing of devices, etc., into such areas, measures to prevent unauthorized access to personal data.
- Measures to prevent theft, loss or other accident of devices, electronic media, documents, etc., that are used for handling personal data.
- Measures to prevent leakage of personal data when carrying devices, electronic media, etc., used for handling personal data, including when moving within the Firm.
(Technical Safety Control Measures)
- Access control for limiting the authorized personnel and the scope of personal data to be handled.
- Introduction of mechanism to protect the information system that handles personal data from unauthorized external access and/or from unlawful software.
- All personal information relating to the Firm’s legal services and all personal information acquired through its recruitment activities are stored in Japan.
- Personal information of Newsletter subscribers, etc., is stored in the U.S. with the safety security measures implemented based on the applicable personal information protection legislation of the U.S.
4. Outsourcing the Handling of Personal Information
The Firm may outsource the handling of personal information to a third party. In such case, the Firm supervises the outsourced company as necessary and appropriately in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.
5. Ongoing Improvement
6. Disclosure, Etc., of Retained Personal Data
When the Firm receives a request from an individual or his/her representative to disclose the relevant retained personal data or records of provision of such data to third parties, the Firm responds to the request in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act after verifying the identity of the person making the request, except in the following cases. If the Firm determines not to disclose the data or if the relevant retained personal data do not exist, the Firm responds to such effect:
- When life, body, property or other right or interest of the relevant individual or a third party is threatened to be damaged;
- When the Firm’s due performance of its services is threatened to be significantly hindered; or
- When such disclosure would result in a violation of law.
When the Firm receives a request from an individual or his/her representative for correction, addition or deletion of the relevant retained personal data on the ground that the data are incorrect, or request for deletion, suspension of use, or suspension of provision of data to a third party, the Firm responds to such request appropriately in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act after performing the necessary investigations.
7. Contact Information
Please contact our Administration Department for making disclosure requests or other requests, expressing opinions, asking questions, lodging complaints or making other inquiries concerning the handling of personal information at:
- Sanno Park Tower 14F, 2-11-1, Nagata-cho, Chiyoda-ku
(Accessible: 9:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m./1:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m. on weekdays)
Revised: September 27, 2022
Revised: April 1, 2022
Revised: May 22, 2019
Revised: May 2, 2018
Revised: June 4, 2012
Established: April 1, 2005
Shin Ushijima, Representative Partner
Ushijima & Partners, Attorneys-at-Law
Sanno Park Tower 12F (Reception) and 14F, 2-11-1 Nagata-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo