Hiroyasu Kageshima and Shinobu Yanagita delivered a lecture titled “Outline of the Amended Whistleblower Protection Act and Practical Operations” at a seminar hosted by AIG General Insurance Company.
The outline of the lecture is as follows:
1. What is the Whistleblower Protection Act?
(1) Outline of the Whistleblower Protection Act
(2) Outline of the amendment
(3) Effect of the amendment
2. Encouraging whistleblowing in the company
(2) Confidentiality obligations of persons in charge of the whistleblowing system
(3) Establishing a system to address whistleblowing, etc.
3. Encouraging reporting to administrative organs, etc.
(1) Requirements to be protected when reporting to an administrative organ with the authority to impose punishment, etc.
(2) Requirements to be protected when reporting to a person with the authority to address the situation
4. Protection of whistleblowers
– Outline of the amendment to make it easier for whistleblowers to be protected
5. Certification of the whistleblowing system
(1) Outline of certification of the whistleblowing system
(2) Significance of certification of the whistleblowing system
6. Responding to whistleblowing
(1) Points to note in appointing persons in charge of a whistleblowing system
(2) Points to note in creating a system to receive, investigate and address whistleblowing
(3) Points to note in revising internal regulations
(4) Points to note for officers, etc., to avoid assuming liabilities